Burglary Rise among Indian Households in Overland Park
We have seen a number of news reports and have heard from many of our clients, that there has been an increase in burglaries and home invasions with members of the Indian community as the victims. This is clearly a disturbing trend and the goal of this posting is to provide some ideas to help everyone be a little safer, especially as the holidays approach. As is always the case, be mindful of your surroundings and anything or anyone that seems out of place. Safety usually starts with what we refer to as the three-D’s, Deterrence, Denial, and Detection.
Deterrence means to make yourself a less desirable target:
- Make it look like you are home, even when you aren’t
- Have security signs and decals posted so would-be intruders know the house is protected
- Keep home well lit and keep doors and windows clearly visible
- Keep valuables out of sight
Denial means making it harder to break in:
- Always keep doors and windows locked
- Put deadbolts on exterior doors
- Put sticks in tracks of sliding doors and windows
- Consider an monitored security system to rapidly alert you and police in the event of a break-in
- Consider a video camera as a deterrent and an aid to apprehension and prosecution
- Also keep an eye on neighbors houses for unusual activity
For more ideas, you can request a free copy of our home security checklist or contact us for a free in home security assessment.
Article by Tony Thurnam g+